Some people come by perfect teeth naturally, but many of us need a little help to achieve a perfect smile. Dr. Jonathan E. Greene, your Norwich, CT, dentist, explains how veneers can help you improve your smile.
Veneers are thin but tough
When you first see a veneer, you may be skeptical that these thin porcelain shells can really change your smile. Although they're no thicker than a fingernail, veneers provide excellent coverage for a variety of dental flaws. Veneers are attached to the front surfaces of your teeth only, which means you won't need to undergo extensive dental work. They're often constructed of porcelain, a durable material that looks very much like natural tooth enamel.
Dental veneers are versatile
Veneers are used to conceal a variety of imperfections and flaws, including:
- Chips and Cracks: Small chips and cracks can be easily hidden with dental veneers.
- Slight Gaps between Teeth: Don't like the spaces between your teeth? Veneers can fill the gaps. Although veneers are effective at covering slight gaps, orthodontic treatment may be needed if you have substantial gaps.
- Discolorations: Discolorations due to root canals, large fillings, and tetracycline use disappear after a veneer is applied to your tooth. Veneers are also a good option if you would like to whiten all of your teeth. Teeth whitening treatment lightens your teeth an average of three to eight shades, which may not always produce the results you want. When you use dental veneers to whiten your teeth, you can choose the final shade.
- Oddly Shaped Teeth: It's not unusual to have one tooth that doesn't quite look like neighboring teeth. A veneer will help that tooth blend in with surrounding teeth.
- Short Teeth: Veneers are also a good choice if you have a tooth that is just a little too short.
How do I receive dental veneers?
After your consultation, you'll return for the first stage of the veneer process. During this appointment, the fronts of your teeth will be filed slightly to accommodate the veneers. After your teeth are filed, your dentist will make an impression of your teeth, which will be used to create your custom-made veneers. You'll be provided with temporary veneers before the visit ends.
When your permanent veneers are ready, you'll return to the office. After adjustments are made to the fit, they will be permanently attached using dental cement and a special curing light. You'll leave the office with a brand new smile.
Are you ready to improve your smile? Call Dr. Jonathan E. Greene, your Norwich, CT, dentist, at (860) 889-8427 to schedule an appointment. Transform your smile with dental veneers!